Sunday, June 23, 2013

WHY JUNE 23RD IS SO IMPORTANT


June 23rd is an important date for me. I have several major anniversaries connected to this date. Twenty-0ne years ago today I made the first of a series of major changes in my life by leaving the place I’d called home for so many years and moving to Vancouver Washington. My first husband and the father of my children lived there and we had decided to see if we could rekindle what we once had. One terribly long year later after deciding that rekindling was impossible and I moved again but not half way across the country this time, just across the river. 
So, June 23rd is my twenty year anniversary of my living in this area. I still think of this place as a temporary home town for me even though I’ve lived here longer than anywhere else. Up until twenty years ago I had been a nomad, a wanderer and had lived in many places. Seventeen places, give or take, so settling down was one of those major changes that I mentioned. 
As important as the two anniversaries above are.....
The main reason June 23rd is so important is because it is my granddaughter Ariel’s birthday. Twenty two years ago today this beautiful person came into our lives. Ariel is the youngest of my grandchildren and the only girl. She is also beautiful and smart and funny and oh so many wonderful things.

Note the Mona Lisa smile...and she has her Gran's cheek bones

Right now Ariel is attending medical school and when she graduates she is going to be a brilliant doctor! I’m absolutely sure of that! How could she not be?? I know that every grandmother thinks her grand kids are beautiful and smart. We Grans all do our share of bragging and if you think that I’m being a proud granny here, you are right about that.
Because she lives and attends school in another state I don’t get to see my funny little Ari-berry as often as I would like and because of her schedule we don’t get to spend a lot of time on the phone chatting either. Even with her busy schedule she’s the one who makes sure we get together. She flew up for Mother’s day to surprise her mother and me and that is when these photos were taken.

YO Grams, Whaz-up???


Ariel & her uncle Ken


Even now that she's all grown up, she is still a character and a bit of a nut and she will always be my little Ari-berry and I could not be prouder of her.
  ~HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARIEL~
I know I haven't been around much lately and there is a good reason for that and I'll tell you all about it at a later time but for now I'll wish you a wonderful day and as always, thanks for stopping by.

13 comments:

The Bear's Blog said...

Happy Birthday to Ariel.

Happy "staying in one place" Anniversary to you.

Hugs
All of us at
The Bear's Blog ♥

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Madddy,
Happy Birthday to your precious Ariel♡♡♡ You must be quite proud of her. I DO wish her blessed future as a doctor. Oh she is s gorgeous and beautiful and has cheek bones of you, doesn't she♪♪♪

Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan to my bs in America, xoxo Miyako*

Jan Conwell said...

Happy Birthday Ariel! She's lovely, and yes, there is definitely a wee glint of humor in that Mona Lisa smile.

Unknown said...

Hi Maddie! Ariel is so gorgeous, and I can see she has a little mischief in that smile. No wonder you love spending time with her! I've been busy, too, and missed all your posts, but I'll come by more often now that things have settled down. xox!

Kays Kids said...

Dear Maddie, Your life sounds like mine in lots of ways. Your grand daughter is just beautiful. Don't you feel so proud when their dreams are being realized.
I have a sons birthday today. So a long phone call.
I have missed you. I hope you are OK.
Hugs Kay

Jan said...

Happy Birthday, Ariel! She is a beautiful gal! Happy anniversary to you, Maddy. Hope you are well and enjoying this NW spring/summer.

Dianie said...

Happy Birthday Ariel :)

Maddy, you sure do have a beautiful granddaughter!

and happy anniversary to you and your home :)

hugs,
~Diane

LLA Creations Art Dolls said...

So glad to see your post!
Happy Dday to your beautiful grandchild and anniversary to you!

Cobblestone Creations said...

I just realized that June 23rd was the day we arrived in Maine after selling our home in WI. Can it really be one year already?
Hope all is well with you and your lovely family.

Magic Love Crow said...

Happy Birthday to your grand daughter! She is beautiful! She will be a brilliant doctor ;o) You have lived in 17 places! Wow! That is a lot! Happy June 23rd ;o) Hugs ;o)

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Happy Anniversary on your stayin put-ness.
And OMG Ariel is just a knock out gorgeous young woman. I love her beautiful dark eyes and gorgeous hair. I know you think she hung the moon and stars and if I'm not mistaken....I see some starlight in her eyes. She is just as lovely as you said she was....and I will take your compliment of GK reminder you of her as a huge one. What a stunning doctor she will be.
S&S, Oma Linda

Christel said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ARIEL! Sorry I too have been absent a lot lately..life sometimes just gets in the way does't it? Your granddaughter reminds me so much of my own daughter, Jamie! She , is 23, and quirky, like Ariel seems to be..simply lovely, inside and out!!Her what's up G-Ma pose looks exactly like my Jamies what's up Momma pose I get from her!! lol xoxox Christel

Katy Cameron said...

Very belated happy birthday to her! (I'm slowly catching up on all my blogs, sorry you come quite a long way down the alphabet!) Oh, and Friday okay for you?